New for the year:
“My Lady’s Bedchamber” featuring a period bedroom C. 1900 with a sitting area decorated with vintage handcrafted needlework by women from the Penns Valley Area such as quilts, embroidery, crocheting, tatting on homespun linens..
Christmas of Yesteryear
South Wall – corner, rare German feather tree with Czechoslovakian ornaments, 1890. Glass case & tree, antique & handmade ornaments from Musser/ Gramley family, late 1800 & early 1900s. Note Christmas cards on south window, early 1900s..
West Wall – section of 2-story staircase salvaged from Keene Farmhouse, carefully disassembled and numbered by Harry Ward. Painstakingly cleaned and repainted by Ralph & Kay Gray, then reassembled by Harry Ward & Sam Yoder.
Antique gramophone wound with hand crank (missing) manufactured by Victor Talking Machine Co., 1911.
North Wall – newly acquired fireplace mantel with andirons & logs
East Wall – rockers by Bollinger and Jesse Mauck, local chair-makers, 1826 – 64
Doll under glass dome by German Schoenhut doll makers (191), wooden w/metal joints, porcelain face restored by dollologist
Send the word, send the word, there’s a tribute to the 100th Anniversary of the end of WW1 in the Alcove!
Daniel Musser (1822-1888)
Maryjane Belle Musser Sturgis (died 1883 at age 23)
Bessie Sturgis, Maryjane’s daughter (age 3 at time of mother’s death)
Bessie Sturgis Gramley – as adult
S.Ward Gramley – husband of Bessie Sturgis
Samuel & Titus Gramley – grandfather & father of Ward
June Goyne Corotto – family connections & miniature photograph at age 3
Oil painting by June’s mother, Lucille (1925)
Ruth C. Rudy Foyer
Memorabilia from Mrs. Rudy’s 14-year service as Representative of 171st district in General Assembly & other political activities.
Note family photographs and fraktur of Mrs. Rudy’s parents’ marriage certificate, world map with push pins marking all locations visited by the Rudy’s.
The Aaronsburg Story
Expanded exhibit of photographs, programs, books, music, articles, 1949 pageant stage plan, newspaper pages, & other memorabilia from the original Aaronsburg story of October 23, 1949
Round Table – Booklets about the Aaronsburg Story available for donation, please
- Essay by Robert Weible
- Narrative by Maryann Yoder
Right Corner of Room – Clothes & photographs from 1949 event.
North Wall & Table – Map of Aaronsburg, Aaronsburg Story slide presentation & quotes from famous people who attended original 1949 event, follow-up event in 1953. Also pages from the 1949 Millheim Journal
West Wall – original shields from 1949 event. Table, articles and newspaper clippings about “perpetuation” of the story and formation of The Aaronsburg Story, Inc., erection of historical marker in 1997
South Wall – glass case, programs from The Story events since 1949
Table, photographs of Aaron & Rachael Levy, pewter communion set, article reporting rediscovery of ‘lost’ communion set in the Salem Lutheran Church building & other memorabilia from Aaronsburg and its story.
Genealogy records, books & papers
High school yearbooks, family & school pictures
All available for research
New microfilm reader for old Millheim Journals containing local history and obituaries